Tuesday, September 02, 2014

a most excellent morning

My morning intermediate reading/writing class was a great bunch today, although I felt a bit sorry for the lone girl in the class. Only eleven of the listed nineteen showed up; as with yesterday's advanced class, I imagine the rest will straggle in on the second class day. Those who did show up proved to be blessed with quite the sense of humor, and they were good sports as I led them through two activities before letting them go.

Tuesdays and Fridays are like split shifts for me: the morning class finishes just before noon and the next class doesn't begin until 3:30PM, which sucks balls. But the way I see it, that lengthy break between classes is a chance for me to settle in, settle down, and recharge a bit from an active morning. Introverts need long breathers.

I teach in two different buildings: there's the so-called "Building K," also known as the Munhwa-gwan, i.e., the Cultural Center. Then there's the main building for my department, the Hyehwa-gwan, also known as "Building G." Building G is a sweatbox; I can already tell that things are going to be miserable until late fall. Building K, meanwhile, is very well air-conditioned, which makes teaching there a pleasure. That's one thing that hasn't changed despite my change of workplace: I still sweat through my classes. Our office in the Hyehwa-gwan remains hot; once I get paid, I swear one of the first things I'm going to do is buy myself another damn electric fan. This shall not stand!

Class in a little over two hours. Advanced students again, so my hopes are high that the kids will come armed with brains.


_

No comments: