Sunday, October 12, 2014

megawalk 2: the sequel

I did a humble 12K-step walk yesterday that didn't even involve climbing Namsan (I ended up in Itaewon, in the middle of some sort of massive block party* right in front of the Hamilton Hotel—don't ask, but suffice it to say that I beat a hasty, introverted retreat), so today I'm going to make up for my laziness by reenacting the megawalk from last week: my neighborhood to Dongguk U., Dongguk U. to Namsan's summit, Namsan's summit to Huam-dong, Huam-dong to Sookmyung U., Sookmyung to Samgakji, Samgakji to Itaewon, then back again along the same route. I may stop in Itaewon, like last time, and chow down on a Subway sandwich. Or who knows? I may go Turkish and eat a döner kebab or two. Sadly, Turkish food has gotten much more expensive over the past year as Turkish restaurants have proliferated along Itaewon's main drag. While that's bad news, the good news is that the Turks now feel comfortable serving rotisserie lamb more openly than they ever did before, and Koreans finally seem to be catching on to how good lamb can be, despite the odd smell of the meat (a reason often cited by Koreans for disliking lamb).

Mmmm... the more I think about it, the less I think I'll be going for Subway. But one never knows: decisions sometimes get made in the heat of the moment.


*This is apparently the 이태원지구촌축제, i.e. the Itaewon Global Village Festival. It's happening today as well, which doesn't exactly motivate me to walk to Itaewon.

_

No comments: