Monday, August 31, 2015

success

I'll write more later, but the happy news is that my F-4 visa application went without a hitch. I spent a lot of money, but in two* weeks, I'll have my new alien-registration card and an F-4 visa that'll be good for two years.

The point of this visa is that it's not attached to a sponsoring employer: I essentially become a free agent, able to roam Korea at will, working wherever I want, enjoying most of the perks of a South Korean citizen thanks to my Korean heritage. If I suddenly want to act in a TV commercial, I can do that while working elsewhere. Private tutoring? Also no longer a problem. No need to look over my shoulder for the authorities.

After a raft of bad news, this is very good news, indeed. More later.



*Corrected. I'd originally written that it would be three weeks.


_

8 comments:

Sperwer said...

Now start piling up the years to qualify for an F5, and no more renewals and visits to immo

Charles said...

Again, congratulations!

Didn't realize that the F4 had to be renewed every two years. Do they check to make sure you still have Korean ancestry?

hahnak said...

happy birthday, internet friend! seems like your year is going well. i hope that many good things come your way this year!

brier said...

Great news! Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday and congratulations on getting the visa. I know it was a lot of work and there's never any telling when the bureaucracy will try to screw you over, so I'm glad you didn't leave Immigration with a bad taste in your mouth on your birthday.

John Mac said...

Woot!

Anne in Rockwall, TX said...

Congratulations and Happy Birthday!!! Enjoy your day and your new status.

Kevin Kim said...

Thanks, all.